Saturday, July 6, 2013

For Yelena

On June 21st my cousin gave birth to this little cutie:

For months I've been planning on making her a quilt, but I just can't seem to get going on that project.  In the meantime, I decided to make her a dress.  Since this is my first attempt at making something so small, I decided to go with an "easy" pattern - McCall's 6015:

Here's my version:

It's not perfect, but it's pretty good if I say so myself.  :)

Design changes:
I completely enclosed the zipper...the pattern only has it enclosed on the bodice.

I also added a lace overlay to make it dressier.

Originally, I planned to use this as the overlay:

..but it was just too bulky to work with.

I went back to the fabric store and got this:

...which was much much easier to work with.
I also made bias tape out of the fabric remnants to enclose the raw edges of the lace:

Now I'm just waiting on my cousin to send me the baby's measurements so I can make the panty.  In the meantime, I guess I'll get back to the quilt...


I finally made the matching panties: