Wednesday, February 29, 2012

McCall's 5643 view B

So now I've done all three views of this pattern.  This is my least favorite.

For some reason, it took me a really long time to complete this....a little under 10 hours!  Part of this was the pocket.  I spent almost 3 hours on the pocket alone, which is ridiculous.  I didn't understand the directions for it and read it many times before it finally clicked.  I had to pin the contrast several times to get it in the right spot.  Then I realized I cut the pocket upside down so I had to start all over again.  Here's the pocket detail:
Overall, I'm just not in love with the style of this view.  I probably won't be making it again.  It really reminds me of hospital scrubs, but maybe that is my poor fabric choice.  I though yellow would be nice, but now I think pink probably would've looked better as the contrast color.  Oh well...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

McCall's 5643

This is the second time I've used this pattern, but the first time I've done view A.  I didn't think I liked this style, but I think I've warmed up to it.

Here's a close up of the print:

The buttons match perfectly with the flowers on the print.

I think I love this pattern.  I have absolutely no issues with it.  It's super easy so it's great for beginners without looking like a beginner project.  I highly recommend it!

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Butterick 4945

I'm finally finished this apron!!!!  It only took me the ENTIRE day. :(  I had off today and was hoping to get two done, but that didn't happen.  This was my 6th apron and although one of the simplest style-wise, it was the most frustrating.  I have never had to rip out so many seams.  Most of this was due to my wanting to line it.  I didn't think through the best way to do it and realized after I stitched and zig zag stitched.  So for anyone wanted to make this apron and line it, attach the lining at the very top, lower sides, and bottom and leave open the top sides (the part with the thin pink strip - the band).  This is because you need the seam allowance when you attach the band.  Of course I didn't realize this until after I had first sewed the sides completely and trimmed the seam allowance!  You can imagine, it wasn't fun to sew the bands on after that.
Attaching the flounce was more difficult than expected due to the curved edge.  I had to re-pin it 5 times for the front and 3 times for the back.  I don't think the notches for this pattern align perfectly.  At least they didn't for mine...I had to completely ignore them to get it to "fit" - I use the term loosely as it still didn't fit.  The flounce isn't as long as the apron.  To fix the problem I had to switch from a regular 5/8 seam allowance to 1/4 to 1 inch along the sides of the apron.  This was very annoying.
Also, it wasn't clear to me which way the neck ties went.  I thought I had it right...I even basted it first.  Everything seemed ok so I stitched them in place.  That's when I realized they were on backwards.  They're on an angle and are supposed to lean towards the center, but I stitched them leaning outward.  Well, at least the next one will be much easier.  Yes, I'm crazy enough to do it again because I think the end product is pretty cute.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Little Red Dress Contest

I finally finished my dress for's little red dress contest!  I made McCall's 6518.
For a little something extra, I beaded the ruffles.  It ended up being a major undertaking, but I think it was worth it!

This was my first saddlestitch.  Thanks to youtube, I figured it out although I think if I ever do this type of hem again, I'll make the stitches smaller.

You can see my review of the pattern here.

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Butterick 5474

I've finally finished the first of many aprons I plan on making.  These are a lot of work and took MANY hours to complete, but I think the finished product is worth it.

The pattern instructions were very clear and easy to follow.  The only change I made to the pattern was to line the skirt and pockets.  I think adding the lining makes for a much more "professional" finished look. 

 I think they're absolutely adorable!  My mom has already called dibs on the mushroom madness apron.  :)