Friday, August 17, 2012

For Mom

I've had a very long sewing hiatus due to studying for the bar exam.  Now that that's over, back to business!  Since yesterday was my mom's birthday and I'm broke, for her gift, I decided to finally do some projects my mom asked me to do.  Downside is that they're not surprises since she purchased the patterns and fabrics, but she understands.  I'll make it up to her later.

Anyway, they are all very simple, basic patterns that are great for beginners.

Dress 1 - McCall's 9172.  This is a very simple dress with pockets.  I made a fabric loop for the button to make it look a little nicer in the back.
 




Dress 2 - Butterick 5768.  This is one of the see & sew patterns.  It is sooo easy...only 2 pattern pieces!  The hardest part is the back pleats, and they aren't hard.

 

Dress 3 - Simplicity 1884:
I had to do a second row of the top stitching at the top of the dress because the first row didn't catch the facing.  The second row missed it in spots, but I think it will be ok.  I could just hand sew it, but I don't really think it's necessary.  I added belt loops instead of making thread carriers.

 

 

Skirt - Simplicity 2257
I added lining because the fabric was very light and sheer.

 


Happy birthday to the greatest mom ever!!!



***UPDATE***

Some pics of mom wearing the dresses:
       


4 comments:

  1. The gifts are terrific and they are special when made with out of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be thrilled to have custom made gifts- I'm sure she loved your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy BDay to your mom! I pray her many, many, many more! I hope she enjoys her day!!! She will L*VE her gifts. Lovely sewing!!!

    ReplyDelete