Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mother's Day - Butterick 5454 and McCall's 5974

This post is a bit late, but I did not have my model (mom) until graduation which was after Mother's Day.  For Mother's Day, I made my mom 2 dresses:  Butterick 5454 and McCall's 5974.  For both, I used fabric (poly blends?) I purchased from G Street Fabrics.

Butterick 5454 view B:
 

I love this dress!  The pattern is very easy to follow.  I had only two minor issues.  One, my mom needs to wear a camisole under it, but that's not too much of an issue.  From the other reviews, it seems like the dress falls in a way that a camisole is unnecessary.  Mine might be like this because I needed to do an FBA(? I have no idea, just speculating)...in any case, it's no big deal.  Two, the sleeves are looser than they appear on the package.  My mom doesn't mind so I don't mind.  Highly recommend this.

McCall's 5974 view B with 3/4 sleeves:
 

This one has fit issues.  The front is way too low.  My mom is wearing a camisole in the pics below to illustrate.  The sleeves are also quite loose in this.  I'm going to need to take it apart and try to raise it and tighten the sleeves:

 




Not sure that I would try this one again.  Maybe I might try a different view.


2 comments:

  1. Such fine looking dresses on your mom. The Butterick 5454 is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! :) I agree...B5454 really is a great pattern. I'll be using it again very shortly.

      Delete