Thursday, April 12, 2012

Simplicity 1897


I was excited to make this dress (view C) and was hoping to wear it to my journal's "banquet"...which is being held a Lucky Strike this year so I thought it would be a nice stylish, not too dressy dress.  Unfortunately, it's not as awesome as I was hoping.  It doesn't fit at all like I thought.  The picture makes it look a lot looser in the bodice than it actually is.  Also, I think the drop waist is too high...I prefer for a drop waist to actually hit my hip.
There is actually a front flap/wrap, but you can't really see it.  Initially I was considering omitting it, now I know I could have cause it really doesn't make a difference.


It took forever to find a 12" metal zipper that looked decent.  This one isn't perfect, but I found it on clearance for 97 cents, so I had to make it work (I was about to spend $16 for one with Swarovski crystals).  When I bought this zipper, I didn't notice how the bottom of it is folded in.  It really is a handbag zipper.  Oh well...too late now.  Here's a close-up of the back:

I finished it today and was so excited.....until I put it on.  It is soooooo ill-fitting.  It's really unflattering and that's being nice.  The only way I'd consider wearing it is to cover up what makes it special - the lace yoke.  :(
Definitely not wearing this to the banquet.  Now I have to come up with a plan B....

No comments:

Post a Comment